Friday, April 18, 2008

Toxins, community and not taking on rudeness

Well, the salmon we had for lunch (my fault, should have "cajuned" it like I usually do hehe) did a little number on the belly the evening before, but when I woke up stuffed and coughing I knew there was more going on than undercooked fish. My youngest has been with a runny nose for about 2 weeks now and that has been the longest he has been ill. I opened up the basement and realized (or was reminded) that there is a mold issue somewhere that NEEDS to get get dealt with (as the toxic smell of mold triggers my asthma). Now I live in a row house condo, so my mold problem is my neighbour's and vice versa. Yesterday afternoon I was telling my neighbour how I have to tackle this problem and she brought me inside to show me her own issue. Black mold creeping up the corner in her bedroom. I was horrified. But even worse, it is not one of the connecting walls to my condo, which means the next neighbour now also has a mold issue as it's not just on the surface when the mold is that thick, it's deeper. We went through having a wall replaced in our son's room (that he refused to sleep in........good thing he was more keen than we were) and we didn't have the mold on the surface, it was just dampness in the wall (so I thought). When I had my husband open it up the studs were like dirt......could've have taken it and spread it out in the garden! Needlesstosay, the mold needs to go. I suspect that the attic space is also contaminated and all our roofs are connected. I am determined to maintain not only the health of me and my family, but also my neighbours. And I have really awesome neighbours! SIDE NOTE: In our one section in the complex, we are the ONLY ones that own, the rest of my connected neighbours (5 others, 6 condos) all rent.

So I make a call to the condo management. WOW!! I had to get off the phone as quickly as possible. They were rude from hello! (and that don't jive with me!) Now I have dealt with management before on many issues (hahah since I seem to have a lot of complaints.....valid complaints), but I have noticed that they have not followed through with what is expected or what they said they would do and have not responded to my calls and emails. But now people's lives are being seriously affected by neglect and I have little to no tolerance for it. They acted quickly when it was my son's room that was rotting and they will do the same when families are at risk as well. I am just so glad that the weather went from shorts to snow pants again. I was in a sleeveless top and sweater yesterday and today I won't step out the house without my winter coat. It's GREAT! Why? Because the heat was making the mold toxins strong and making the air unbreathable. I was having an asthma attack while I was sleeping and ran wheezing for my inhaler. I was so full of mucus, I slept on my back, slightly propped up.

Today, I am going to take pictures and make a report to send to the management, to the condo board, and to capital health, and to city bylaw if necessary. So hopefully, it doesn't have to go that far, but I need to be prepared.

On the workout front, I am getting Michelle's back (not backside.....not quite there yet) and I am loving my pects. I found some pictures of me before marriage and the kids, but it was after my workout days and so I don't really have a comparison to go from in my own personal log other than the pics from 4 years ago. I am more muscular now than I was then, so I am thankful for the strength. Off to go and gear up for the photos. Pray all is resolved soon.

5 comments:

Eye on the prize said...

Comment by Faye on April 18, 2008 at 10:28am
Elisa, mold in the building is a serious health issue, and if the condo management doesn't act immediately, you are definitely within your rights as the yummy mummy on the block to go to the municipal health authorities. You may also want to have a word with your home insurance broker. I hope this is resolved quickly, for you and your kids.

Eye on the prize said...

Comment by Mary Dikeman on April 18, 2008 at 4:55pm
Oh, Elisa! This is just awful! I sure hope it get resolved soon for your health's sake! I agree with Faye! Keep bugging them until it gets resolved!

Eye on the prize said...

Comment by Elisa on April 22, 2008 at 4:46pm
Well day 2 on the mold abatement issue. I sent an email to the condo management (with read receipt attached) and it was read yesterday. Also called public health, but my neighbour has to be the one who calls, so I will follow up with her.

Eye on the prize said...

Comment by Elisa on April 28, 2008 at 1:28pm
Just an update.......The warm weather is back and so are the toxic fumes. Luckily, there's an inspector coming today to look into the issue and I hope it will get resolved soon thereafter.

Eye on the prize said...

Comment by Elisa on April 28, 2008 at 6:43pm
Well, the inspector left me with little information, except to say that they will probably be back for further investigation (greeeeeaaaat!). And he didn't wear a mask while up there, so I am sure that his wheezing may turn to a cough tomorrow. I'm just thankful that I can fling the windows open and get fresh air in here.