Sunday, July 27, 2008

Moving forward after the camping trip....week 2 in review

Well, I can definitely say it was an eventful and good weekend even without a whole lot of sleep (Note to self for near future reference: Get a bigger tent!) It was a nice, humble group of about 10 families from church in the Drumheller area of Alberta. Now it wasn't raw woods camping, but at Dinosaur Trail Resort. It was a pretty nice spot and there were loads of little bunnies hopping and running about and they were SO cute!

We went to see a few sites in the area and mark having done and enjoyed as much as we could in the time that we were there. No radio while we drove....loads of fresh air and going with the flow. My hubby and I enjoyed a lot of quiet time as well as conversation and it was a pretty relaxed time. EXCEPT when it came to food ARGH!!! But in all the freshness, I expressed my mind fully about the way that he eats and that I was concerned for him. I packed foods that would not require any cooking (except smores, eggs, steaks and sausages.....all hubby food) and we travelled with it everywhere. So there was no reason to go hungry or be frustrated with food choices. But on the Saturday while we were out and about, he had in his mind what he wanted to eat, but couldn't find it anywhere. So he had a slurpee. Me and the boys had a snack mix (almonds, dried fruit and pumpkin seeds) I prepared, pre-cooked chicken, carrots and peas and water. Which was a good thing since we decided we would go hike to the top of this hoodoo hill (quite scary considering how it crumbled and slipped out from underfoot....too many close calls for a mom to experience). We then went across a suspension bridge with the kids and then when we got back to the resort, hubby took the boys swimming. We also got a surprise visit from a couple that came from the Calgary church and it was great to share the weekend with them. The wife is a very ambitious, and kind hearted woman. She has her own company and would classify as an FYM. She went back to school and became a nutritionist (one that helps with emotional eating habits and childrens' nutrition as well) and can I tell you that I made sure to ask about meal planning. How often do you get to do that face to face, with your dietary restrictions in mind?
As it came time to set the fire, cook dinner and then enjoy smores (lots of people brought smores stuff for dessert for the weekend) I pulled out my granola and pure dark chocolate chips and I was complimented on my efforts to help my children enjoy the "treat" without causing them the discomfort from allergies (also for having the "healthy" version available). It helped me to realized that I am definitely "on track" as best as the situation calls for when it come to eating. Even on the way back today and we stopped at a truck stop, I ordered hashbrowns and a side of veggies with water and even though the canned green beans with mystery meat were choked down (I picked around the meaty bits) and when the bill came it was more than the food was "worth", I stated that at least we learned how to order in the future (as we have a few days before we our away from our home again ) and we won't quite be doing it that way again ( I am definitely asking a WHOLE lot more questions such as portion size, quality of "freshness", and what it will really cost when you "modify" the menu as we order stuff that was not exactly listed).

What did I learn over the last week?.......I am a big fan of FYM and especially the club and all the wonderful women here. What a great opportunity I have had and have applied such great advice given to help in my life situations. Thanks again for your encouragement and support.

My family THRIVES on fresh air. My boys didn't wake until after 6am every morning, regardless of noises and I woke later as well (4:30 - 5am) and enjoyed starting my morning with a breath of fresh air. I am even more determined to get moved before winter begins (by the end of the TC prayerfully).

I love "dreaming" with my hubby. Being that we are similar, I need to open up more with my imagination and thoughts with him and we can enjoy them together. We had so much fun with creating scenarios and "what if's" and he is truly one of my best friends.
I really just wanted to drop down and do pushups at random this weekend (but there was no way I was going to in the company of about 4 fitness pros, that would turn into a competition in a bad way LOL). I missed working out and i am looking forward to my workout tomorrow.

Good company encourages good character. Being surrounded by our friends this weekend and people who have faith are are successes in what they do was very encouraging. I even had a friend comment that I appeared to be smaller than her now (she's a PT), but I also reassured her that she was made with curves that I was not and it was good to know that I had really reached where I set out to reach from a year ago and beyond.

Now for a week of packing and prepping for 2 weeks with friends and family and as it sounds, everyone is looking forward to having us. I talked with my MIL today and she said we will be doing a family photo again while we are out there, so I am happy that I will look quite different from the last time =D. Positive change is good.

It was a great experienced had by all and was a great time spent. I even had a few marshmallows

Tags: travel

1 comment:

Eye on the prize said...

Comment by Elisa on July 29, 2008 at 10:28am
Delete Comment My kids loved the dinosaurs, and we also checked out the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology. All throughout Drumheller they have dinosaurs everywhere hahaha. Good landmarking I guess.....(meet me by the purple t-rex hahaha).