Thursday, May 29, 2008

This was a response to Kathleen's blog I held my fat today! where I describe the situation behind my weight gain as I know a few have asked me to share.

.....Hey Kathleen,
I can say that I loved how the fat got there, but I didn't appreciate what it was able to do to my body. I loved the fat so much, I just had to let it go. The fact that belly fat "functions" separately from the rest of me, with it's own hopes and desires, I figured it was time break up our unhealthy relationship and move on. We weren't on the same page and it was starting to stifle me....there was little hope in our future together. I still have leftovers from the relationship that I just need to burn through, but it's going to take time, and they say time heals all wounds.

In my last pregnancy, I was over-exposed to allergens that caused me severe pain and swelling (cigarette smoke and fragrance). The workplace I was working in was the biggest offenders of fragrance use and then my neighbours at the time smoked inside and it migrated into our home. There was nowhere to get away from it. I had air filters running 24/7 and implemented changes at work for those that were allergic.....we got our own section of the call centre. However that wasn't enough for me in my delicate state and I was forced to go on disability leave before my mat leave period. I gained 90 lbs that pregnancy, and with complications with due date and delivery, I almost bleed to death. I was touch and go for a bit, and when I came through, my post-op was horrible. I resorted to drinking formula just to get enough to eat as I hadn't had food for 3 days at that point. Because of my allergies all I got was clear fluids until I passed gas. It was horrific for someone with a hyperthyroid. 2 weeks after I was down 70 lbs. SO that assault on my system caused massive weigh gain the month to follow at my in-laws. I have been chipping away at that gain ever since and I have finally crossed the threshold back to what I was before I was pregnant. So I am grateful my body sought to protect itself, but now I am my body's defender and protector and it's a healthier relationship. .....

Tags: belly, body, fat, gain, loss, love, success

No comments: