Sunday, May 4, 2008

Seasons of our lives - Woman's day 2008


Every year for the last 5 or 6 years, I have participated in a woman's day event. Last year it was a retreat where we stayed in cabins and went through relationship building, trust, and competitive team exercises as well as heard from guest speakers and other women sharing their experiences with their walk as one of God's daughters. This year, the guest speak was from the Toronto church and she shared about how God loves and pursues us long before we even turn to him. It was great and a lot of woman shared honestly and freely about where they stand in their relationship with God.

I had a great time and focused on meeting any of the new faces, getting lots of pictures and encouraging my friends. There was also a brunch buffet to be a part of the event and so I had planned (allergies permitting) that this would also be my cheat meal. They had muffins and a fruit bowl to start and people were free to take from this snack table for the first part of the day. I couldn't have the muffins (being celiac) and I couldn't have the oranges or the type of apples they had available, so I had a pear. I figured if they have a good spread for lunch then I would be ok in my selections. I did bring a bigger snack bag than I usually do and man was I thankful.

After the guest speaker shared, there was a short break before lunch. I took the time to get some pictures in and catch up with a few people. I also made a note of getting in front of the camera this time, since I tend to forget otherwise. (I'm the one with the hat)

Then it was lunch time. I was excited to see this buffet. When I got up to the line, I grabbed some lettuce and then moved up the the other food. Pasta with tomato meat sauce and pasta with a cream sauce. At that point, I was confirmed of a few things. One, I need to bring a heartier snack the next time we have a function. Second, I was not convinced to come and stay at this facility in the future. And third, I LOVE food and I have high standards. SO for lunch I had lettuce. That's right, JUST lettuce HAHAHAH. When I returned to the table, my friends asked me where's my food? HAHAH. Oh well. So for the rest of the time there, I finshed off my snack, enjoyed my time spent with others and enjoyed a peaceful ride home.

When I got home I was so glad that I had leftover chicken and buckwheat and quinoa in the fridge. I enjoyed it fully =D. I then also made myself a small cheat of rice cake, small smear of chocolate hazelnut spread and a few pure dark chocolate chips. Next, time I'll just have a few chocolate chips and a small piece of cheese. Later for dinner, I had a small piece of steak and roasted veggies. It was a good day.

Tags: eating, encourage, out, prepare, snacks, spiritual, women

1 comment:

Eye on the prize said...

Comment by Sonia on May 13, 2008 at 5:03pm
Hi Elisa
This is so ironic but I belong to the Toronto Church of Christ in the west-Brampton Ontario. Do you go to the Edmonton church? We just had our Womens Day too and it was great. The speaker was Robin Weidner author of Secure in Heart. A wonderful book on women's insecurities and how to overcome them, she's from the Chicago church. You have two beautiful boys, I have three girls-12,4,2. I run a daycare at home and a Real Estate Investor's business, so time is a big issue for me and being discipline in eating clean. I just signed up for Dax's 9 day challenge. I want to loose 15lbs and be ripped, my goal is to enter a competition for the fun of saying I can. Well I have to go as my little one beeds to use the computer.
Bye for now
Sonia