Sunday, February 15, 2009

This is one of my favorite recipes I make. I modified it from Martha Stewart's Carrot cupcake recipe. I switch it up all the time and it's quick and easy.

Carrot Banana Muffins

Ingredients (Makes 12)

* 1/3 cup honey (or agave nectar) and some stevia (1/4 cup sugar equivalent...original recipe called for 1 cup sugar)
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use olive oil or coconut oil)
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 large eggs (2 large ripe bananas or 1 banana and a tbsp of plain yogurt)
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
* 1 cup chick pea flour
* 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
* 2 cups shredded carrots (could mix it up and use some shredded zucchini)
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional....I don't use them)
* 1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a standard 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners. In a bowl, combine honey, vegetable oil, orange juice, vanilla extract, and eggs (or mashed bananas).
2. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, stevia, allspice, cinnamon, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
3. Stir in carrots, walnuts, and coconut.
4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 25 minutes.

Note: Being that I am allergic to eggs, I tend to use bananas (or yogurt) in place of. However, if you can do eggs and want to add the bananas as well, I would use one egg and one banana.


Enjoy!

No comments: